Habakkuk?

Friday, January 3, 2014


{Statue of Habakkuk by Donatello}

Habakkuk.  A hard-to-pronounce name. Not a well-known prophet. Even the way Donatello depicts him in his sculpture looks a little scary.  People gravitate to Daniel, Isaiah, and maybe even the weeping prophet, Jeremiah.  But Habakkuk?

Last November I started reading "The Book of the Twelve" which is just another term for the twelve books of the minor prophets {Hosea-Malachi}.  Habakkuk is where I landed first.  Mainly because I was having my boys memorize some of my favorite verses...

Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls, 
 yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.
 The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights.
Habakkuk 3:17-19

After reading through it...actually slowing down and reading, I am finally understanding him, Habakkuk, a bit more. And I came to realize Habakkuk is a lot like us.  Full of questions.  Full of angst.  Full of worry.  He doesn't seem as strange as his name would have you believe!

Join me over the next three weeks as I explore his short book and his struggles with God.

Here is a list of the upcoming posts.  {Note: you won't be able to get to the posts until they are live on my blog.}  But in the meantime go ahead and read Habakkuk.  It is only three chapters long.  Quite doable!


No comments: