Baking up a Storm!

Thursday, January 2, 2014


I am in the midst of mayhem right now trying to get a head start on everything before the second semester hits on Monday.  Today I decided that I would get a ton of baked goods ready (or partially ready) for the weeks to come.

The first item on my list was a muffin mix.  Here is what I did:

MUFFIN MIX
 {I doubled this and put in a big jar. Then I taped the instructions to the jar so I don't have to go looking for them on a bleary-eyed morning.}

Makes about 4 mixes.

6 cups flour {or 4 cups flour and 2 cups whole wheat flour}
3 cups sugar
2 t. salt
2 1/2 T. baking powder
1/2 cup dry egg powder
1/2 cup dry instant milk
Combine and store in an airtight container.  If you are using whole wheat then put in the fridge.

Using the Mix:
2 1/4 cup muffin mix
1/3 cup oil
Scant 2/3 cup water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease or line muffin cups.  Mix all ingredients together.  You can then fold in some berries or other mix-ins (Note: If you add in something with a lot of moisture like mashed bananas you will need to reduce the water.)  Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

A note about dry egg powder:  I find mine at the local Wal-Mart of Sam's Club.  I love this stuff!  I can make pancake mix, muffin mix, and use it in a pinch when I don't have regular eggs.  The dry egg works well in baking, but I wouldn't use it for scrambled eggs (Yuck!) even though people say that you can! Also, if you don't have access to egg powder you can omit it and add one egg when you mix up the muffins.  You may need to reduce the water slightly.


I also got cinnamon rolls ready for the freezer.  Here is how I make cinnamon rolls.

Finally, I made several batches of whole wheat dough for bread and rolls.

Doing all of this prep ahead of time should save my sanity while we readjust to school again!




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there an egg substitute- allergic

Debbie said...

I am wondering if you could use Egg Replacer?

Leslie said...

I successfully use one TBL of soy flour ( as per the tightwad gazette) to replace eggs in all my baking.

Anonymous said...

Just to be sure, for the flour are you using the self-rising or reg. flour?

Debbie said...

Regular flour. :-)

Poppins said...

Probably noob question, but....t is teaspoon or tablespoon.

Debbie said...

Capital T is tablespoon and lowercase is teaspoon.

Anonymous said...

How much fruit do you add for breakfast muffins? I was also thinking streusel mix for "coffee cake" muffins.

Debbie said...

No more than a cup of fruit, because depending on the fruit the batter will be too moist. Coffee cake muffins are an excellent idea!

Anonymous said...

How much corn meal?