What Happens

Sunday, August 10, 2014


There are times when I would rather run from the past. Some events in life can just be downright painful. Last year was one of those years I would rather not relive...running seems like a better tactic to deal with it, but even though it was rough God prepared me for the onslaught of pain.  Early in January of 2013, I came across a verse that has ridden the storm with me...Philippians 1:19.

For I know that through your prayers and God's provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.

This verse has played out in my life in the past year and a half. He has brought me deliverance in so many ways. I have escaped some severe anxiety, some rough relationships, and learned to rely on Him more and more. I have become a different person...stronger than I ever imagined I could be. One person that I am extremely close with says she doesn't even recognize the person I have become. Deliverance can be painful, but it is so worth it!

This past month I have been studying Philippians using a method laid out in Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds (See my post. It will be live August 13th.). I was surprised as I went through chapter one that there are several times where Paul talks about "what happens" in our lives and how that benefits us and others. Paul seemed to accept whatever his circumstances because he trusted that God would use them.

Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. {verse 12}

Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. {verse 27}

And then in chapter four...

For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. {verse 11}

It doesn't matter what happens, God can use it, and we can learn to be at peace with our pasts. Are you struggling? Maybe you have been rejected or you have lost your job. Maybe there is relational turmoil in your past as there is in mine. Or maybe you messed up big time and don't know how to recover. Whatever has happened God will use it. He can redeem it and make it into something beautiful. He is after all the great Architect and Artist of our lives. He may use it for your benefit or to help others. There is no event in life that goes past the point of being used for God's purpose. My prayer for you is that you hang on...He will deliver.

I am linking up at It Takes Just One.

3 comments:

Jen @ Growing in Faith said...

I think verse 11 is so important. No matter where God has us, or where we think He should have us, we need to find contentment. We need to find joy in where the Lord has placed us. Even if it's uncomfortable, scary, or unwanted.

-Jen

Meredith Bernard said...

This is so true, Debbie, “Deliverance can be painful, but it is so worth it” I know that from plenty of first-hand experience, as well. And you are correct, God can use anything from our ugly past for His beautiful glory. Amen! Thank you for these encouraging words today. :)

Debbie said...

Thanks for stopping by Meredith and Jen!