Getting Ready for Easter

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I grew up in a denomination that never really focused on Lent.  I am still a part of that denomination, but over the years I have learned more and more about this time before Easter. Lent starts on the 7th Wednesday before Easter. Traditionally, it is a time when people give up something (a sin or habit).  It is a time of repentance and self-denial.  It is a turning from sin to God.

This year for Lent we are going to do something new, but more on that in a minute. Each year for Advent we read one of the following stories:

Each story centers around the time of Christ's birth.  What makes these stories even more interesting is that they all are intertwined.  So if you read Jotham one year you can see where Bartholomew and Tabitha come into play in his story.  The next year you may read Tabitha and come across Jotham and Bartholomew.

The author of the Jotham trilogy has come out with a new book for Easter, Amon's Adventure: A Family Story for Easter.  Amon is Jotham's son and the story takes place, you guessed it, thirty-three years after Jotham's story.  I can't wait for us to get started on it today!

For the first time ever I am going to give up something for Lent...I won't go into the details, but it is something that I feel in the giving up will help me focus more on God.

So what are you doing for Lent?


No comments: