A New Love for Zechariah

Thursday, March 10, 2011

I recently read through Zechariah as a part of the Bible in 90 Days program.  I have to admit that reading through the prophets, both major and minor, leaves me confused and bewildered sometimes.  This reading session was different though.There were so many verses that I could relate to and knew what they were referring to.  Zechariah chapter ten really hit me...what a picture of Jesus!!!

So I pastured the flock marked for slaughter, particulary the oppressed of the flock.  Then I took two staffs and called one Favor and the other Union, and I pastured the flock---The flock detested me and I grew weary of them and said, "I will not be your shepherd. Let the dying die, and the perishing perish."---I told them, "If you think it best, give me my pay; but if not, keep it." So they paid me thirty pieces of silver. And the Lord said to me, "Throw it to the potter" the handsome price at which they priced me! So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the Lord to the potter.

What hit me about these verses is that I can see the prophecies clearly unlike so many other times. Jesus is our shepherd. He was "paid for" with thirty pieces of silver.  If you go to the book of Matthew you will see that Judas eventually wants the priests to take the money back so he throws it into the Lord's house and eventually it is used to buy the potter's field.  I love when I can see that God's Word fits together so neatly!


No comments: