Filling the Freezer

Tuesday, September 10, 2013



When the Sharpies and masking tape come out you know it is time to fill the freezer!  Sharpies and masking tape are my go-to instruments for labeling all the food I make.  I spent Saturday bulk cooking since our freezer space was looking a little too spacious. Here is what I made for September...


We grew about six heads of cabbage this summer.  Some of them I gave away and the rest were used for egg drop soup and egg rolls.  My sons LOVE egg drop soup.  To prepare it for the freezer I slightly cook chopped cabbage and chives (also from the garden) in chicken broth.  I then freeze the soup.  To serve I thaw it and then bring it to a boil.  I add eggs that I have mixed and seasoned well into the boiling pot.  Super simple.  

For the egg rolls I use this recipe. I just substitute the coleslaw mix with my own cabbage and carrots from the garden.

We have a ton of tomatoes now...so I made...

Creamy Burrito Casserole
Brown the meat with the onions and add the taco seasoning.  Mix the beans and meat together.  In another bowl mix the sour cream and the soup.  In a baking dish, spread the sour cream mixture on the bottom.  Put down a layer of tortillas.  Add a layer of the meat mixture.  Sprinkle on a layer of cheese.  Repeat the layers.  Bake at 350 until heated through.  You can serve it with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes.
I also made taco meat to freeze (once again there are so many tomatoes I needed recipes that would use them.)
BLT's are also on the menu.
We harvested our potatoes this weekend.  So I bought kielbasa and onion at the store.  This isn't really a freezer meal.  Basically, I cut up kielbasa, potatoes, onion, and carrots (from our garden). Season it and roast the mixture in the oven.  Super yummy!

What to do with dried out bread?

I made Pumpkin French Toast Bake.


Here's the link for the recipe. I freeze this without baking and then pull it out when we want it and pop it in the oven. 

And finally, I mixed up some meatloaf.  One for Sunday dinner and the other to freeze (freeze before cooking).  Here is the recipe I used.

No comments: