The Emotionally Destructive Relationship

Thursday, January 24, 2013



 Have you ever felt like you are going crazy in a particular relationship?  That you just can't win with a person no matter how much you try?  That when you interact with him or her it always turns out poorly? 
The Emotionally Destructive Relationship  is an excellent read if you are trying to navigate a rocky road with a spouse, friend, or family member.  I have spent over a decade managing a family relationship that was incredibly unhealthy in my life.  It hasn't been easy, but I have to say that I have grown tremendously because of it.

Recently, something popped up related to this hard part of my life.  The Emotionally Destructive Relationship has been on my To-Read list for awhile and since I knew I was going to have to be dealing with some hard stuff, I decided to pick it up and read it.  This is one of the best books I have read on the subject.  The author, Leslie Vernick, is a Christian counselor who went through a tremendously difficult relationship with her mom.  She gives wisdom throughout her book through Biblical examples and practical advice.  She teaches how to determine if a relationship is toxic and then what to do about it.  To give you just a taste of what she says here are a few quotes:

“When you give another person the power to define you, then you also give them the power to control you.”

"It is impossible to be spiritually mature when we are emotionally unhealthy."

"Jesus requires that we be peacemakers, not peacekeepers, who pretend all is well in order to maintain an illusion of peace."

If you are struggling with someone this book can help you sort through the mess.  It won't be easy, but it will take you to a better place and on the road to recovery. 

 

No comments: