When Jealousy Rages...

Wednesday, June 6, 2012


A few months back I came across a great Bible study called Encountering the Healing Power of Forgiveness (Living with Unmet Desires).  I learned so much through the study on the life of Joseph and how chose to forgive his brothers.  Here are my thoughts on going through Shawn's Bible study on forgiveness.

Before Shawn wrote her study on forgiveness she wrote one on jealousy called Living with Unmet Desires: Exposing the Many Faces of Jealousy.  We have all struggled with jealousy from time to time.  I know for me it has been an issue here and there, but it hasn't been as big of an issue with me as unforgiveness has.  So imagine my surprise that when I started this study that jealousy popped by in my life for a visit!  Going through Shawn's daily lessons helped me to refocus on what really matters...what God thinks of us!

Here is a quote that I found particularly helpful:

Each time we say no to bitterness over not having justice served and continue to walk humbly with Jesus, we show that we are just strangers here in this world. A stranger to this world does not desire man's fickle affection, but rather the incomprehensible reward of our soul hearing that our God is not ashamed to be our God!

One of the key concepts that Shawn points out about jealousy is that it really is an issue with God that we have and not with the person we are jealous of. She lays out four core issues of a jealous heart...I found that knowing those issues helped redirect my thinking on what I was struggling with. 

The whole Bible study is based on the lives of Hannah, Samuel (an excellent example of one that had every right to be jealous, but didn't act on it!!), Saul, David and Jonathan.  It it amazing to see how the theme of jealousy runs through the stories of all their lives!  Some are great examples of how to not act on jealous thoughts while others, like the life of Saul, demonstrate the devastation of a life filled with envy.

To learn more about Shawn Lantz, visit her site.  Her studies are well worth it!!!


 

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Debbie,
Thank you so much for your complimentary words regarding my wife's studies. May the Lord bless you and those you minister to in our great Last Frontier state.

Shawn hopes to begin work on her next study (due Fall 2013) on Discovering a Life of Significance.

Rob Lantz