Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

Tuesday, June 5, 2012


I have heard of Gulliver's Travels for years and never read it so I decided to put it on my list of classics to read this year. While I love most of the classics I read Gulliver's Travels didn't come to a "swift" enough end for me. (Pun intended!)  Unfortunately, I found it to be extremely boring and hard to wade through.

Gulliver is an adventurer that travels to several fairytale-like lands including Lilliput (a country of tiny people), Brobdingnag (a land of giants), Laputa (a flying island), and the country of the Houyhnhnms (horses) that rule over the Yahoos (a form of human beings).  While at the beginning some of the characters were interesting and even some of the stories caught my attention, I soon lost interest.  There is no real plot here, just a travelogue.  I realize that Gulliver's Travels is a satire on human nature and how we interact; however, I found that I lost interest so quickly that I never really did process the deeper meaning for each type of kingdom that Gulliver encountered.

If you enjoy satire or commentary on personalities and human nature you might enjoy this Irish classic. For me, I couldn't wait to put it down!




No comments: