Silas Marner

Friday, June 15, 2012



I have been doing the Back to the Classics Challenge this year and have really enjoyed it.  I have read a few books that I hardly knew about but turned out to really enjoy like The Scarlet Pimpernel.  I have also learned that I in no way enjoy Steinbeck or Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  I tried reading a novel from each of them and had to put them aside.  I just finished reading Silas Marner, and I have to say that this is my new favorite! I knew very little about the book, but as soon as I picked it up I was enthralled by the plot line.

Silas is the protagonist, victim, and hero of the novel.  I could really identify with his lot in life and came to admire his courage to take on a task that seemed to hard for a man in his situation.  The book is an easy read.  I particularly enjoyed how the two main plot lines intersected.  Like the main character who was a weaver, the author of Silas Marner (who is really a woman named Mary Anne Evans) weaves these two plot lines in and out to create a wonderful story of wronged man who reaches out to a little girl.  Two families collide in more way than one.  The writing is easy to read and poetic at the same time. 

I am surprised that this novel isn't talked about and read more.  It was so worth the read!

 

No comments: