What Women Fear By Angie Smith

Sunday, February 12, 2012


I am familiar with fear.  I have anxiety about my anxiety. I tend to be worn by worry more than I care to admit.  I would say that one of my biggest struggles in life has been dealing with fear.

I have read a lot of books on the subject of fear...even done some Bible studies on it.  Most of them have told me that fear is a sin and to steer clear of it.  I wish it was that easy.  That isn't to say that I haven't had some victory over this tormentor in my life.  I have.  But it has been a long struggle...baby steps all the way.  So I was pleasantly pleased when I picked up What Women Fear: Walking in Faith that Transforms.  There was no condemnation.  There was no ten step plan of what you must do to get rid of fear.  Instead Angie talks about the fact that dealing with fear is a balancing act--learning to lean away from the fear and lean into Jesus.

I love the way Angie uses familiar Bible stories to discuss the issues of fear.  Each chapter focuses on a different aspect of fear like
Fear of the "What if"
Fear of Rejection, Betrayal
Fear of being found out
Fear of failure
Fear of  death
Fear of God's plan for my life
Fear of God

What I love about Angie's book is that even though she has a degree in pyschology she doesn't pretend to have a bunch of pat answers.  There is no formula for getting rid of all the fear.  Maybe that is the point...that the fear needs to drive us to the feet of Jesus...to learn to rely on Him on a daily basis. I am going to keep learning to lean into Him!

I am linking up to...


1 comment:

April said...

I went to a Women of Faith conference in Indy last year and Angie Smith was one of the speakers...she was fantastic! I have not laughed SO HARD since :)