Pantry Challenge

Monday, January 23, 2012


So we are finished with week three of the pantry challenge.  I have saved a fistful of cash in the process!  We have spent only about $275 this month on groceries.  Totally amazing!!!  My freezers are looking empty.  I have used up some blueberries, cranberries, and rhubarb in baked goods this past week. Most of all I have tried to stay away from the store knowing that I would only spend more!

Here is the recipe for the muffin mix I made before January started.  It has been a lifesaver and has forced me to use up fruit in my freezer (we pick blueberries and cranberries in the woods here in Alaska-so it is a free source of fruit!)


Muffin Mix

8 cups flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup dry milk powder
3 T. baking powder
2 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 cup dried egg powder (if you have this...if not you can add a fresh egg when you mix the batter)

Mix all together.  Then put a little under 3 cups of the mix in a quart ziploc.  You should come out with 4 quart bags of mix.  On the bag label what it is and the following:
ADD: 1 cup water, 1/2 cup oil (can be reduced), 1 egg (if there is no egg powder) and "mix-ins" (fruit, nuts, etc.)

When ready to use...mix all ingredients together and bake in muffin tins at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

No comments: