Managing Your Opinion of Me

Wednesday, January 18, 2012


"I desperately want to manage your opinion of me. Nearly everything I do is to convince you I am good." -Grace for the Good Girl by Emily Freeman

We all want to put our best foot forward.  We all want to look and seem that which we are not. We all want to impress.  I have spent a lifetime doing just that...giving the world a view of myself that isn't all together accurate...because it is a view of me having it all together.  And I am far from being all together!

I am currently reading Grace for the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life, and I have to say that the author, Emily Freeman, is living in my head!  She describes me to a "T"...the girl that always tries to hide behind being "good" to impress the rest of the world...the girl that seeks perfection in order to gain acceptance.
"If my story were a planet then your rejection of me would be my nuclear holocaust." --Emily Freeman

However, God has been working on me to get rid of this need to be accepted by all...the unhealthy need to mangage what others think of me. I am s.l.o.w.l.y. changing.  It is no longer totally devastating if a person doesn't like me.  I can live with that if I know my God is for me.  I am working on letting Him be the last say in my life.  His opinion is the only one that matters.

I can't wait to read and learn more from her book!

No comments: