Curriculum Fair

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Last week I went to our local curriculum fair.  I always love this time of year when I start to think of what we are going to be doing next year.  The planning for next year gets me through the burnout of this year!  Normally there is always one speaker that sparks my interests and this year it was Adam Andrews from the Center for Literary Education. I really enjoyed his workshops on how to teach literature and discuss great books with your kids.  This is something that we are going to try for next year.

Here are some of the materials that I bought....
*Story CD's from Jim Weiss who was here at the fair.  The boys were able to see him perform...The Prince and The Pauper, Masters of the Renaissance, Julius Caesar


*Materials from Geography Matters. We are going to go through some world geography next year.















*Materials from the Institute for Excellence in Writing.

For Zach...Medieval History

For Noah...Fables and Fairy Tales

For both of them...Fix-it Grammar

One of the things that we are going to try is to evaluate a classic and learn more about setting, plot, characters, and theme.  We will be using Adam Andrews materials to do that. These are materials more for the teacher than the student.  I am going to go through this program this summer so that we can analyze at least one book next school year.















3 comments:

cooperkelly4 said...

HI Debbie! Have you used Fix It Grammar before? If so how do you like it? I am really stuck on how to go about grammar for my 2 oldest (Nate is , and Abby is 6, almost 7) I'd love to hear your thoughts. =0) Kelly

Debbie said...

Kelly- I haven't used it before, but have looked it over...we will start it in the fall. It is for
3rd grade and up. Basically, you give your child one sentence a day from an ongoing story that has no punctuation or capitalization. They are then supposed to write the sentence with corrections. Also time is spent going over parts of speech after they correct the sentences. Since your kids are younger you may be able to do this with any story, but I think the stories in Fix-It would be too difficult for k-2nd.

cooperkelly4 said...

Thanks Debbie. Good to know. =0) We were out of town for our curriculum fair this year.