Great Biscotti Recipes

Friday, November 21, 2014


Last year I made biscotti for our Christmas goodies instead of doing a bunch of different cookies. I fell in love with the idea that I plan on doing it again this year. The beauty of biscotti is that you can do it ahead of time, freeze it, and then {if desired} dip it in chocolate before enjoying.  Here are a couple of recipes and tips that I have used...

Chocolate Biscotti
I have found the dough to be hard to deal with when it comes to chocolate and biscotti.  I liked this recipe from Mama's Gotta Bake the best.  I actually made chocolate peppermint biscotti with her recipe by omitting the nuts and adding a 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract.  I plan to dip these in white chocolate and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.

Almond Biscotti
I love anything with almond flavoring especially during the holidays. Here are two great recipes I have used in the past.
Almond Orange Biscotti
Almond Vanilla Biscotti

Other Flavors
Here are some other flavors that I am interested in trying this year. I just need to narrow it down to a more manageable list!
Nutella
Mocha
Key Lime
Coconut
Lemon
Snickerdoodle


Tips for Making Biscotti

-Select recipes with at least a little bit of fat (normally butter) as they are easier to slice

-Refrigerate or put the dough in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes if it is too gooey to shape.

-I tried two different chocolate biscotti and found that both the doughs were hard to deal with when shaping.  The one recipe I have posted above was the better one.  Once you get the logs shaped the biscotti turns out beautifully.

-Be patient during the cooling of the "log" before slicing. Makes slicing easier. 

-Biscotti keeps well. Freeze it early in December and then you can take it out closer to gift giving time and dip in chocolate if you desire. 

No comments: