How Gratitude Changes a Life

Monday, September 29, 2014


Since October 5, 2009...that's when it all started. Little did I know that I was about to embark on a painful season of life. It would be years in the making. It would be a complete breaking. God knew what I would need through that season. He knew I would need to learn to count. But that October Monday morning I had no idea what awaited me. I could not foresee the challenge of just keeping my heart above the emotional turmoil so it wouldn't drown in a sea of sorrow. But God knew what was coming. That morning in October, I started a new habit...listing gifts God gave me...expressing gratitude. Gratitude would be my lifesaver. It would hoist me out of the hurt so that I could keep pressing on.

Gratitude is a funny thing. It doesn't change one life circumstance. It doesn't change the past. It does nothing for the present, but it changes the person. Being thankful for all He gives has increased my faith, given me a more positive attitude, and instilled a sense of peace. Making myself sit down each week to list gifts has changed my heart about my circumstances even when the circumstances weren't what I wanted. 

So here is my list for the week...may it's time to start one yourself?

{4, 801-4,814}

-Reading and journaling God's Word
-A fun Friday night
-A raspberry mocha
-A quick dinner with a friend
-A sick son who is feeling so much better
-A haircut


-My Spanish students...I adore them!!
-Talking with parents
-Laughter that brings tears
-An easier schedule for the week
-Deeper understanding of the past
-Getting ready for a pumpkin unit with my students
-A faithful God 
-Time with other Christians


No comments: