Hope and Healing {Peace and Pieces}

Thursday, September 25, 2014


At some point in our lives we are all Humpty Dumpty...broken into a million pieces. So how do we put ourselves back together again? Or can we?
This post is a part of the series, Hope and Healing.  Please click here to read more.


When I was little I loved doing puzzles. The kind with lots of pieces and details. It seems strange to me now since I have become the type of person who would rather deal with the big picture than get bogged down in the tiniest of details. There would come a time as I was working with a puzzle that I just needed to walk away from it. The pieces would drive me crazy! There would be just too many of them for my mind to deal with.

Life can be a puzzle. It can be in pieces because of a tragic event, the hurt words or actions of another. It can fall apart in our busyness or our lack of attention to detail. Sometimes we are the ones in pieces...emotionally, physically, spiritually. Being put back together is a mind boggling task.

For me, it was hurtful words and actions that left me in pieces. While God has allowed an incredible amount of healing in my life I would have to admit that I know deep down inside there are pieces of me still.  I am stronger. I am less afraid. I have become healthier, but the brokenness lingers in me. I am learning that to make peace with my past I must give God the pieces. Trust Him with my brokenness even when I don't understand how He will mold me back together. Rest in Him all the while knowing that He has it all figured out.  I don't have to.

Are you struggling with the brokenness of your past? Did someone verbally shred you? Did a tragedy leave you crushed under the weight of it? Or maybe you are haunted by what you did because your actions broke something or someone. It doesn't matter what it is. The only way to survive it is to make peace with it. To make peace with your past give God your broken pieces.  That may mean you need to...
-share your brokenness with Him.
-forgive the person that hurt you.
-apologize to the one you hurt.
-make amends through actions.
-trust that He is still in control.
-rest in the fact that He doesn't rest and holds you close.
-give up control of your past by giving it to Him.
-own your part of the past {your contribution to the pain}

Wholeness is possible when God is the one putting you back together again.


No comments: