The Holes that Make us Whole

Thursday, March 6, 2014



Last year I started on a journey...a wilderness wandering if you will.  While the trip is not complete, I have seen the benefits of the lonely, hard trail God asked me to walk down.  This is a re-post about the journey... {To read the rest of the posts in the series, click here.}

This year God has stripped me down to the bare bones.  Huge chunks of my life were torn away.  Relationships severed.  Status changed.  My PR at an all time low.  Gaping wounds yet to be healed.  And yet,there is no lack of His love. He has walked me through it all.  Not that I am whole by any stretch of the imagination.  We become whole through the holes in our lives. It is in the stripping down that He builds us up.

The Israelites had a year like mine (let's just say several years).  Their status changed.  No longer favored by a Pharaoh. They became slaves, and their relationship with the Egyptians caused them great grief. Gaping wounds? I am sure a few wore them on their backs.  Yet, it was the holes that would make them whole and take them to their Promised Land.  Those places of deep need become the place where God meets us.  We lack no good thing when He takes us, strips us, and move us into the Wilderness.

The Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has watched over your journey through this vast wilderness. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything.  Deuteronomy 2:7

He takes the holes of our lives.  The sufferings. The relational upsets. The sickness.  The emotional turmoil.  The need.  And fills them as we move into our Promised Land....a land where we don't lack.

For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land—a land with brooks, streams, and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills;  a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey;  a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.  Deuteronomy 8:7-9

I am grateful for Him... The Filler of Holes...

Linking up at...



5 comments:

Princess Morag said...

Our holes help us become whole. I really like that! I've been in a literal and figurative desert for more than two years. And yes, God is faithful and I have not lacked anything. It is good to share that testimony with another!! :)

Karmen M. said...

As my 40th year approaches over the horizon that these Deuteronomy verses will be my sign posts on my journey there. This post was a blessing to me today. Stopping by from Faith Barista

Trudy said...

Comforting, Debbie. Thank you. "We become whole through the holes in our lives." Such a beautiful thought!

Debbie said...

Thank you for stopping by and reading!

HisFireFly said...

love.this.

may there always be a hole that only He can fill, that I would continue to turn to Him again and again until I learn to never turn away...