Gardening and the Freezer

Tuesday, October 29, 2013


The freezer can be a great help when it comes to gardening.  For example, each year I cut up rhubarb and put it in sandwich baggies (one cup each) and then all those little baggies go into a gallon-sized bag for creating baked goods later.  I do the same with shredded zucchini.  I also blanch veggies and then store them in the freezer for later use. Here is a simple guide on that process.


Another way is to go ahead and make meals with those veggies and then freeze the meals.  This works well if your harvest of a certain veggie is small.  For example, I can normally make some vegetable soup in August to freeze if I combine the different veggies from the garden.  Another option if you have enough tomatoes (we never seem to produce enough for this, but one year I was given several pounds of tomatoes) is to make spaghetti sauce.  If I add meat, I put the sauce in the freezer.  If there is no meat added, then I tend to can it.

So do you put some of your garden in your freezer each year?


No comments: