Vacuum Sealing Freezer Meals

Thursday, September 13, 2012


Recently, my father-in-law loaned me his Foodsaver.  I promptly got to work packing meals for the freezer!  A week ago we harvested a bunch of potatoes so I decided to peel and blanch some of them and then seal them.  I normally don't like potatoes once they are frozen, but decided to give it a try.  Supposedly, the potatoes have to be blanched before you freeze them or they will brown (Yuck!).  It took me less than an hour to peel  about five pounds of potatoes, blanch, seal and freeze them.



I am loving how compact the Foodsaver makes the packages that go into the freezer!  So I am really hoping that I can use these potatoes for mashing or in stews later.  We will see how it goes.


I also packaged a few meals like Crockpot Sausage and Veggie Medley.  This was super easy...sausages that I cut up, some of the potatoes, onion, bell pepper, broccoli, carrots.  I will add the liquids later when I cook it.  I may spend some more time this week throwing together some meals to seal.

No comments: