Othello

Thursday, July 5, 2012


To mourn a mischief that is past and gone
Is the next way to draw new mischief on.--Othello

Shakespeare was a genius when it came to pegging people and understanding human nature. Maybe that is why I actually enjoy his plays...for the simple fact that we can see ourselves in his characters. I recently read Othello, and while I won't call it my favorite tragedy of Shakespeare it is amazing how  he depicts the character of Iago!  Iago is the villian in the story who twists the truth to everyone around him for his own personal gain. While reading through the play I first thought it was unrealistic that someone would go about lying like that.  However, after thinking it through I realized that I am personally acquainted with several people who share Iago's "gift" of treachery.

If you are looking to read a Shakespeare play that has recognizable quotes this is not the one.  I have a feeling that Othello is less quoted that some of the more famous tragedies of Shakespeare (i.e. Hamlet, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet). Also, the storyline is not as complex simply because there is pretty much one plotline and nothing more.  And yet, it is a fascinating story of jealousy, loss, betrayal, and deception.  In the end I was glad that I had taken the time to read it!

No comments: