Pantry Challenge Update

Monday, January 9, 2012


I am in the midst of a pantry challenge to use up the food I have in my pantry and freezer. This past week I did pretty well as I didn't really have to make a trip to the store (I sent Tim once though)!  It has been around 30 below (zero, that is! Remember I live in Alaska.) and so not going to the store was fine by me!

One of my goals is to use up the canned food I have stored.  A couple of years ago I scored on about 30 cans of organic pumpkin pie mix and pumpkin puree.  I am down to about 5 cans of the pumpkin pie mix that will expire in June.  So I decided that I would have pumpkin spice lattes for my morning coffee.

I make a quick mix for the lattes by blending whipping cream, a bit of milk, and the pumpkin pie mix.

Then I put the mixture in a jar in the fridge so that I could add it to my coffee each morning.

The mixture does separate so each morning I did need to shake it a bit to mix it up.

I have had to use a  bit of self-control this week to make sure we are eating from the pantry...there was one afternoon that I almost went to the store to buy a frozen pizza because it sounded good and I didn't feel like eating anything in the house.  But I resisted the temptation!

So far I have only bought one food item, whipping cream...so very little spending has gone on! YAY!  We will see if I can keep this up!


2 comments:

Brandon said...

Debbie,
Can you give the measurements of cream and milk. This sounds delicious.

Karrie

Debbie said...

I use about 3/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup milk. I add the pumpkin pie mix to taste.