Forget the New Year's Resolutions

Tuesday, November 29, 2011


A Word of the Year...I can handle that!  Three years ago I starting picking out one word to focus on for the year. Although I had made New Year's resolutions in the past, I flounder with them.  It seems that having too many goals for a year meant that I didn't achieve any of them.
So in 2009, I chose the word, "Patience", and a tradition began.  Since that first year I have picked "Prayer" (2010) and "Grace" (2011).  Each year has been a tremendous growing opportunity for me in the area that my word focused on.  It seems that whatever word I pick God uses it to teach some valuable lessons.  This year has been an amazing year of "Grace"!  I can not tell you the depth of what I have learned! Giving grace has become central to my life, and I have come to realize how freeing it is to show grace to those around you.  You become less agitated and more forgiving which in the end makes a more peaceful person.

I am still pondering my word for 2012...I have some ideas:

"Truth"-as I am fascinated that Jesus was full of grace and truth.  Sometimes those qualities seem like complete opposites.  Being truthful with someone can hurt...so is that grace?

"Faith"-learning to trust God at all times has always been a challenge for me.

"Glory" (Shekinah)-God's glory...how can I live my life to the glory of God? What are the things that I do that stifle His glory?

So I have about a month to think about it and decide.  Do you choose a Word of the Year? If so, what are you planning on picking?

No comments: