Pointing the Finger

Wednesday, October 26, 2011


"The true test of spirituality is being able not to point the finger!"
Total Forgiveness

We love to point the finger!  It is human nature to point out others' faults, weaknesses, and mistakes. Is it because we are riddled with our own weaknesses? It is a ploy to get all eyes off our failings and transfer them to another? Is it an effort to make another look bad? Is it revenge?
Many times "pointing the finger" is a form of revenge. We aim to hurt the reputation of those that have hurt us by spreading their failing all over the place. I know I have been guilty of this.

Forgiveness, however, lowers the finger and refuses to speak ill of the person that has hurt us. Lately, I have been trying to not speak negatively of those that have hurt me.  Sure, I could reveal their poor behavior, but I am choosing not to.  Not that it is easy, but I have to say, it is freeing.  There is something healing about making the decision to not taint the reputation of another.

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness.  Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.  Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?  My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water. James 3:9-12

 

No comments: