A Tale of Two Cities (Booking It)

Friday, July 8, 2011

Don't you just love a surprise ending?  I recently finished reading A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. I love the surprise ending in this book!

I am going to be completely honest and say that getting started in this book is a challenge. The first 50 to 100 pages were hard to get through.  Lots of background information that didn't quite make sense to me streamed through the first part of the book. There comes a point though when a switch is flipped and all of a sudden it becomes easier to understand. Several friends had mentioned that I needed to read A Tale of Two Cities, but that it would be hard going in the first part.  I am so glad though that I decided to stick it out!

There are several themes in the book, but I loved how the concept of self-sacrifice was shown. It was dramatic and heart-wrenching at the same time.  I kept asking myself, "Would I be willing to do that for someone I love?"  Another theme that I thought stood out was that of never judging others on the surface.  So many times we make snap judgments about people without realizing that they still have the capability for greatness.
I personally love Dickens. I love his plot lines and humor. While I would say that A Tale of Two Cities wasn't exactly an easy read, it was so worth it!

No comments: