Pre-teaching During the Summer

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I am all about trying to find ways to make the school year go smoother. I work part time during the school year teaching Spanish to homeschoolers. So my days are packed with homeschooling in the morning and then teaching in the afternoon.  I just came upon an idea that I wish I had thought of years ago that will make our school year easier.

This summer I plan to "pre-teach" a lot of Noah's math through games.  Noah is going to start Math-U-See Epsilon (which is the fractions book) in the fall.  Well, it dawned on me that I still have the math games set from RightStart (love these games!).  This set uses games to teach everything from numbers sense to multiplication to fractions.  So I am using these games to teach Noah the basics about fractions.

We have already done concepts like simplifying fractions and greatest common factor.  He is enjoying the game part of it more than a worksheet.  I am also eagerly awaiting in the mail some games from Muggins Math that deal with fractions-Down and Around, Pirates Plunder, and Sink the Ship.  We will play these to get him used to the concepts of adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions.
I am going to be real curious to see how he does in math this year when we finally crack open a book in late August.  I am hoping the "pre-teaching" will make it easier for him! 

So what do you do during the summer?  Review? Pre-teach? Take a break? Or just keep moving on? I would love to hear what others do!

3 comments:

purple squirrel said...

What a great idea, Debbie!
I tend to mostly "take the summer off" (we have a "neighborhood" filled with boys that make it difficult to do otherwise), but some daily "games" might be in order! :D

tezra said...

Those look really cool. I've been looking for some fun things to do that can reinforce this summer.

I'll be checking it out!

also, thanks for the comment on my blog.

Terri said...

That sounds like a great idea! Our plan is to use the Summer Bridge workbooks to keep the kids on top of what they have learned. They LOVE workbooks and these are really colorful and fun! Math is always our most difficult subject to get back into, so I will try to add in a little more of that. Games sound like a great idea!