Finding Your Purpose as a Mom (Booking It)

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This month over at Life as Mom we have been reading Finding Your Purpose as a Mom: How to Build Your Home on Holy Ground.  I recently finished the book and felt that although a lot of the concepts were a review for me, the author gave me a plethora of things that I could do as a mom to make my home more joyful and peaceful. She talks about order in the home, training your kids, and giving grace to your family.

One of the concepts that I had never thought about was hospitality.  My confession for the week...I stink at hospitality!  I really don't feel comfortable opening up my home, but Donna Otto's perspective on the matter has made me rethink it.  She contrasts hospitality and entertainment...here are a few of the differences she talks about

Hospitality seeks to provide a safe place. Entertainment seeks to provide a show place.
Hospitality puts people before things. Entertainment elevates things above people.
Hospitality is about welcome and inclusion. Entertainment is about exclusiveness and pride.


I don't need to get all wrapped up in how beautiful or clean my home is...I just need to open my home up to those around me.  Put people first, and don't worry about the rest.

Finding your Purpose as a Mom has really helped me refocus on my home and my kids. I have come to realize that a mom's place in this world is invaluable!

No comments: