Psalms 23 and the Life of David

Wednesday, February 3, 2010


Recently I did the Beth Moore study on the life of David.  It was the last of Beth's studies that I needed to complete (until her new Breaking Free came out). I think God reserved this one for me at this particular time in my life.  There were so many aspects of this study that hit close to home and that I needed to learn.  One of the biggest ways I could relate to David was in the area of enemies.  Yes, I have enemies!  Now, don't get all worried or anything...unlike David my enemies are not seeking to kill me like Saul wanted to do to David.  Rather they have sought to put me down, publicly shame me and make me look bad in the eyes of others.  Like David, I have had to learn that my enemies are the "Lord's Annointed" (this is what David called Saul).  My enemies are the Lord's annointed also.

So last weekend I sat down and looked through Psalms 23.  David penned it so long ago and yet it is one of the most well-known Psalms out there.  As I read it...I looked at it with new eyes...through the eyes of David.  How does Psalms 23 relate to David's life?

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. David was familiar with this concept.  He, himself, was a shepherd.  He knew what it meant to provide for his flock so that they lacked nothing.  It is interesting that David related to God in areas that he as familiar with...like dealing with sheep.

He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. Considering how much fleeing David had to do from Saul, I find this statement shocking. And yet, David found peace with God.  He allowed God to lead him to a place of peace regardless of the surrounding circumstances.

He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name sake. David didn't always act righteously (remember Bathsheba!), but there were times when God guided him to make the right decisions.  If you go to I Samuel 25 you can read about his encounter with Nabal and Abigail.  You can clearly see that God was at work to help David take the right path.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff they comfort me. David had EVERY right to fear evil!  He was a pursued man! Saul was the epitome of evil, and David was constantly flee him.  Once again you see David's shepherd experience showing through in these verses with the mention of a rod and staff.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You annoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. David knew what it meant to be annointed as he had experienced this as a young teen in order to become king. Preparing a table in the presence of our enemies denotes that God honors us in front of those that are against us.  I have had this happened to me before. It was a powerful experience!  It was like God was saying..."What you said about my child, Debbie, is wrong...this is what I think of her instead!"

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. This speaks of our future and what became of David's future.  I am sure he is dwelling in the house of the Lord right now!  I can't wait to someday knock on that door and meet him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Psalm is one of my favorites, even though at times it has been so "overused" that it becomes common and not so meaningful it seems. But I find such encouragement and hope in those words...one of my all time favorites! My girls and I memorized it a year or more ago and now one of my favorite mommy-memories is hearing them playing around the house while reciting the words.