Butterscotch Balls

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Anytime I can make breakfast ahead of time I am thrilled!  I have too much to do in the morning (exercise, Bible study, etc.) to worry about breakfast.  One of the recipes I do is "Butterscotch Balls" and most of the prep is done beforehand except for the baking the morning you are doing to eat them.  I make my favorite bread recipe and let it rise once.  Then I form small balls of dough and put them on wax paper on a cookie sheet.  I cover the balls with plastic wrap and freeze them. 

Once frozen, I bag them in Ziploc bags and label the bag.  I then pop them back in the freezer.

The night before we want butterscotch balls, I take about 12-18 balls out of the freezer and put them in a buttered bundt pan.  I sprinkle them with a little less than 1/2 a package (3oz) of butterscotch pudding mix.  We have also used pumpkin spice pudding mix that comes out during the holidays. There may be other flavors that would work well too. I then combine 1/2 cup melted butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a separate bowl.  Once mixed, I drizzle it over the balls. I then cover them to let them thaw and then rise. Normally, I leave it out on the counter until we go to bed. At bedtime, I pop the pan in the fridge so they don't rise too much.

 
In the morning, I get the pan out of the fridge and let it warm up a bit on the counter (about 30 min.) and then I bake the butterscotch balls for 30 minutes at 350.

I love this recipe simply because so much can be done ahead of time!

4 comments:

melissa said...

I haven't tried these yet BUT, I have had this post saved for a while and I have finally had a little extra time today to check this out. I want to thank you for posting the link to your favorite bread recipe. My husband doesn't love my bread so I am curious to see how this works for us....
Thanks,
Melissa from North Pole

purple squirrel said...

Oh, Debbie~
Thank you for posting this~ I could do something similar for my cinnamon "monkey bread" (But use a real bread dough instead of store-bought... )

This is our traditional Christmas Morning bread, but for the past two years I have run out of time to make it... You may have made my children very happy come next Christmas morning. :)

My Blessings From Above said...

I know this is an old post Debbie but I wanted to say this is an awesome idea! I am loving freezer cooking more and more! Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

You're welcome, Michele!