More on Me, Myself, and Lies

Friday, July 3, 2009

I have been doing a Bible study by Jennifer Rothschild called Me, Myself, and Lies. I am almost done with week 2 and continuing to glean so much from this study! If you are interested, here is the link to Jennifer's blog.
Here are a few concepts that made an impact on me this week. The first was labels and how we label ourselves. I am a wife, mother, teacher, daughter, etc. But how I view those labels depends on if I am using faith or fate. Fate says that it is just not going to work out (I can't be a great mom) and there is nothing I can do about it. Faith uses God's word to view my situation. For example, I am a child of God...I can change. I am loved.
Another concept that I thought really hit me to the core was about roots and fruits. All the fruits that you could label as sin have a root in our thought closets that is a faulty assumption. For example, if I am struggling with anxiety then the assumption that I am entertaining is that God doesn't care for me and isn't in control. If I am experiencing a lot of difficulty in my relationships then there might be a root of bitterness (that is linked to unforgiveness). The only way to get rid of the sin (fruit) is to get rid of the root through the truth of God's word. Here is a quote from Jennifer,
"We can't will our fruits from blossoming. There is only one way to deal with bad-tasting fruit, and that is to kill the root. A fruit can't be nourished if there is no root.....The weapon of the Word kills bad roots.

No comments: