Family Math Update

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Even though I have been on jury duty this past week and life has been crazy, I did have some time to pick out a few activities for the boys to do from the Family Math books. I have to say that I am loving these books! The activities are engaging and really get you to think. Here is a picture of the Family Math book for the elementary level.Here Zach and Noah are trying to figure out a number sequence according to instructions in the book. Here is a picture of the Family Math book for the middle school years. There are two main sections in this book...activities for numbers and activities for algebra. Frankly, algebra scares me!!!!! But these activities look gentle enough that I could do them and survive the experience. LOL! I have to admit that I am even interested in these activities and want to try them. Not that I will be able to figure them out. Math is my weakness!!! But when I can't figure it out then Zach can. These activities have really caught his attention. He won't put one down until he has solved it. I can't tell you how excited I am about that! Finally, I have found some math that he is really attracted to.
Here Zach is working on "nonconsecutive number boxes". This was a challenging activity in which we needed to put numbers 1-8 in boxes so that the consecutive numbers didn't touch each other. Once we figured out the pattern though it seemed so easy, but in the midst of working through it we were easily confused. It was cool to do this activity with him and for both of us to have the "lightbulb" come on.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

This looks like a fun series. I'll have to check them out this summer.

I'm looking forward to being on the TOS Crew with you!

Debbie said...

Shannon-Looking forward to working with you too! It is great to see familiar faces that will be on the crew!