God and the Puppy

Saturday, May 9, 2009

My boys have been asking for a dog for as long as I can remember. We have firmly said "no" for so many years that they have lost all hope in ever getting one! Well, about a week ago they got to see our dear friends' dog have her first litter (see this post). The boys are in love with these little ones and who can blame them? What they don't know....so, no spilling the beans...is that one of these puppies is going to become their puppy!!!!!! Our friends are going to give us the little male of the litter! My boys have no idea and are making comments like...."Mom and Dad would never let us have one!" "I so wish we could have a puppy!" Well, sometime in June we will let them know that all their dreams will come true!
It occurred to me today that God works in similar ways in our lives. He knows all and sees the big picture whereas we don't have a clue what to expect in life. We may desire for something in life and he will tell us "no" unbeknownst to us that in the end His whole intent is to bless us!!! How many times have I given up on God and my requests? How many times have I doubted that He would come through for me and then in the end He did and then some?!?! I am giddy with excitement to tell my boys that this time the answer is "YES!"...I wonder if God is like that too...He can't wait to bless us and is excited to see our reaction. I wonder if He gets pleasure in blessing us beyond belief.
Two verses come to mind: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11 Just like we have plans to bless our sons with something they have wanted for such a long time I truly believe that God does the same with us...just waiting for the right moment to bring the blessing to us. " The other verse talks of how God does more for us than we could ever come up with..."Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory!" Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments: