Experimenting with Stevia

Wednesday, May 13, 2009


I recently bought a 1 oz. bottle of stevia (from Nunaturals-Pure White Stevia Extract) to try to use this sweetener. I am trying to reduce my sugar intake. Too much sugar and I feel awful. The problem is that I have a sweet tooth! My first attempt with it was a disaster! I pulled a banana bread recipe of the internet using stevia, but quite frankly it was too much stevia for us! It had an awful aftertaste! Yuck! You hardly need any stevia to sweeten things...this stuff is super sweet! Today I took one of our favorite recipes, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, which came from Karrie, and substituted some of the sugar with stevia. I used 1/8 teaspoon stevia instead of one of the cups of sugar. Here is the recipe...


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

1/2 cup oil

4 eggs

3 cups flour

2 cups sugar (or 1 cup sugar and 1/8 t. stevia)

1/2 t. cinnamon

1/2 t. salt

2 t. baking soda

1 small can pumpkin

1 12oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use mini ones)

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs and sugar. Mix in rest of ingredients. Bake for 20 min. You can do these as mini muffins, regular ones or as a bread. If baking as a bread you will need to bake longer…about 45min. to hour.


My goal is to make this recipe again, but reduce the sugar more and add more stevia.


Kendra at The Pumpkin Patch has several recipes that use stevia. Check out her site!

No comments: