Yogurt Making 101

Thursday, February 19, 2009

I will be showing a friend of mine tomorrow how to make yogurt and since most of this is in my head and not on paper I thought I would blog about it and then print it out for her. There are several methods/recipes using...only dry milk and water, whole milk, a yogurt maker, or crock pot or some other way to keep it warm. I took the easy route and bought a yogurt maker off Amazon a few years ago. It was under $20. It has been well worth the $20! I have saved a lot of money by making my own. And besides, it tastes so much better. It reminds me of my days in Argentina where all the yogurt was much fresher than what we buy in the stores here. I would suggest though that if you decide to buy a maker don't get the one that has individual jars...they are a pain to clean. Get one that will make a quart at a time in one container. Here is my recipe:

Homemade Yogurt
1 quart milk
1 packet of yĆ³gurmet starter or 1/4 cup yogurt (from store)
1/2 cup to 1 cup dry milk powder
Mix the milk and the dry milk powder in a saucepan...heat the milk (stirring constantly) until it reaches 82°C (or 180°F). Let it cool to 42°C (108°F) in the fridge. This takes about 20 minutes in the fridge...longer at room temp. Add the yogurt starter or store bought yogurt. Stir gently. Put in yogurt maker. Let set in the maker for four hours. Take it out and refrigerate it until set and totally cool. It is ready to eat. We add honey and jams to it to flavor it.
HINT: I actually use the metric system when doing yogurt...it is easier to read Celsius on my candy thermometer and it is easier to remember the high and low temps you need to get the milk at (82° and 42°).

I have also used this recipe when making yogurt only with dry milk powder. The instructions are long, but she gives a lot of great tips!

No comments: