Praying for Those That Hurt You

Monday, June 22, 2015


But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Luke 6:27-28

It started with a fight: first among people and then within my heart. I didn't want to do what He was asking of me. It was too much to require. There was too much pain to even attempt it, but in a moment of weakened reluctance I said a short prayer. It wasn't much, but it was all that I could muster at the time. I had begun the journey of praying for my "enemies", the ones who had rejected and hurt me

Growing up in church, I always wondered why God called us to pray for our enemies. It sounds like a strange idea from the beginning. Who is really going to be motivated to bless those who oppose, hate, and despise? What kind of crazy person would do such a thing? I never understood it until the day I felt compelled to actually do it...

Please join me over at His Mercy is New today as I talk about praying for those that hurt us and provide you with verses to pray over them.

No comments: