Yummy Fall Treat {Pear Chip Cake}

Sunday, October 5, 2014



Fall is my favorite season. My husband is bewildered by this, because we live in Alaska and autumn means that the snow will arrive at any moment. Here to stay for about six months. I can't help myself though. Fall is still my favorite. I love the rustle of leaves, anything pumpkin, and the warm cinnamony smells that come from a kitchen.  A once a year tradition here is to bake an apple chip cake, a recipe I received from an online friend years ago. This year I bought a bunch of pears that were getting riper faster than I expected so I decided to substitute the apples and make a pear chip cake instead. I did change the original recipe a bit simply because pears seem juicer than apples. So I reduced the amount of oil and pears slightly.

My only issue? Ripe pears are quite the trick to work with...slippery and slimy. But the end result was worth it!!!


Pear Chip Cake

1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
3 cups flour
1 t. vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
2 1/2 cups peeled chopped pears (these are the "chips" that the recipe gets its name from)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine oil, eggs and sugar and beat until smooth. Sift together the cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and flour and mix into the wet ingredients.  The batter will be VERY stiff. Add the vanilla, pears and nuts and mix well. You can put the batter in a bundt pan like I did or in a 9 by 13. Bake for one hour. Cool and enjoy!



And if you really want to go all out...how about some caramel frosting?

Caramel Frosting

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Bring the butter, sugar, and milk to a boil. Boil for three minutes. Stir in the powdered sugar and pour over the the top of the cake.



No comments: