When You Get More Than You Bargained For

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pin It

“I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.  Luke 1:38

Sometimes God surprises us.  He gives us more than we bargained for.  We want to just get through life without a ton of scars.  To live in peace. To live in prosperity.  Instead God gives us God.  I bet that teen girl that ended up pregnant all those years ago never dreamed she would give birth to God.  I mean, really, who puts that on their to-do list?  Who would be so arrogant to even imagine that honor? I am sure that she was just dreaming about becoming Joseph's wife and eventually having children.  I am sure she was concerned about where they would live and how she would maintain a household.  Carrying the Christ didn't come into the picture. Neither did the possibility of divorce from Joseph.  Or the stares of onlookers asking "What Child is This?" when they really want to know "Whose Child is This?".  Sometimes when God gives you God it is more than you bargained for.

Yet Mary's response for the unbelievable is equally unbelievable.  "May your word be fulfilled to me." Do what you need to do, God.  I am your willing servant. So many times I fight God when He gives me Himself.  I reject the heartache that He has allowed all the while knowing that He brings it as blessing.  I reject the obligations I have to fulfill even when he says they bring joy.  I reject Him when my heart trembles believing that His love ends.  Yet, He is always there.  God giving God.  God giving of Himself.  This Christmas I am choosing to accept what He hands me.  To accept His gift.  No matter what package it comes in.
 

No comments: