Hound of Baskervilles

Monday, March 12, 2012

I am in my second year of reading classics.  I went to three different high schools, and because of that I missed a lot of great literature along the way.  This year the plan is to read at least nine classics.

I recently finished The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and thoroughly enjoyed it!  I actually finished it in three days! 

Holmes and Watson solve the riddle of the legend of the hound that has terrorized the Baskerville estate. Mystery novels that are well-written and that don't lose me in the details are some of my favorite types of books to read.  The Hound of the Baskervilles does just that.  Getting to know the eccentric Baskerville neighbors and how they play a part in the plot was also enjoyable.

 Another part of the book that I enjoyed was the descriptions of the moors and the tors.  I actually wasn't really sure what the moors looked like so I had to do some research.  Lo and behold, they are grasslands!  Being from South Dakota I would probably feel quite at home on that type of terrain.  I would now love to go see that part of England!

I am now interested in reading more of Sherlock and then maybe even seeing the recent movie that came out (Sherlock Holmes).

Linking up with....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm adding that to my "to read" list! I love the classics!

Beth Stone said...

Ah, it doesn't get much better than a good ol' Sherlock Holmes mystery.... I love this one. :o) Glad you enjoyed it too. I love the classics.

Sarah Reads Too Much said...

I had an abridged children's version of this when I was a child - I should really read the "grown up" version!