God's Riches at Christ's Expense

Wednesday, March 21, 2012


God's Riches At Christ's Expense

Someone's gotta pay! You see, sin is costly...costly beyond our biggest imaginations. We think we are sowing just a wind and then we reap a whirlwind (Hosea 8:7).  Sin is costly, and someone's gotta pay. Who is that person?

When it comes to our relationship with God little do we realize the gravity of our sin.  We rarely pay the full price for it, mainly because Christ has done that for us.  Our redemption is bought with a price.  It is no small feat. While I have been told this almost my entire life, I have never truly understood the concept that GRACE is us getting God's Riches At Christ's Expense.  I have never truly understood the cost to Christ. A few weeks ago I got a glimmer of what it is to extend grace...a grace that I have to pay for.

When it comes to the offender and the offended it is always the offended that needs to make the first move to reconciliation. God placed this burden on Himself before the beginning of time. He requires no less from us. Extending grace is hard on the offended. Why should those that are hurt have to do a big chunk of the work?  Shouldn't that be the role of the offender.  While it should be that way, that is not how life normally runs.  Many times the offender is in capable of understanding their sin, repenting from it, and acquiescing to the offended party.  The only option: GRACE.

As I mentioned, I had the opportunity to give grace.  It was heart wrenching. This person doesn't understand my pain. This person can't possibly make it right. This person tends to breed mistrust and anger in my heart.  And yet, the only option for me is forgiveness. To let go of the pain. To let go of the idea that she can make it right. To let go of the anger. By the time I was done extending the grace...I was spent.  There was nothing left.  It cost me dearly.  And then I realized that the price that Jesus paid was beyond what we could ever imagine!

It is what Christ does for us.  Are we brave enough to do it for others?

Pin It

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are we brave enough to do it for others? Good question. The only answer for me is: Yes but only through the power of the Holy Spirit and allowing Jesus to work in and through me.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Janet