Abide in my Love

Wednesday, February 22, 2012


12 No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.
I John 4:12-16

The year 2012 is one of abiding.  I am focusing on the word "Abide" and all that it means.  It is amazing how God brings circumstances into my life that help me focus on my Word of the Year. I recently was viewing Beth Moore's video series called Loving Well.  Her focus verses were in I John chapter 4.  Imagine my surprise when I realized that they have something to do with abiding in God. If we love one another, God abides in us.  Lately, "loving one another" has been a big challenge for me.  God has brought some pretty bizarre circumstances into my life these past two years in which I have had to learn to love a person that has actively worked against me.  I am realizing though that God's directive is clear....if I am going to abide in Him I am going to need to love those around me regardless of the challenge.

The verses also say that he who abides in love, abides in God.  Learning to abide in Him is learning how to abide in His love.  I have become convinced over the last few years that if I am not certain of and resting in His love that I will act out of insecurity every time.  For the time being abiding in His love means that I must be confident that He loves me, protects me, and is looking after my best interests regardless of what the circumstances look like.  Being secure in His love means that I will be secure when dealing with others.

I can't wait to see the rest of this year how God opens my eyes to the whole idea of abiding!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Debbie, I've been following your blog for a while now and just love it. I just had to post a comment today when I read about your word for the year...ABIDE. It is also my word for the year. I just posted about it a week or so ago on my blog. I love what you said about how abiding in Him also means loving others despite whatever circumstances we are in. Amen sister! Thank you so much for sharing your heart as you seek to trust and abide in our Father.

Megan
http://houseofthe4risingsons.blogspot.com/

Debbie said...

Hi, Megan! That is so cool that you have the same word for the year! I will have to check out your blog!