Polka Dater Cake

Tuesday, December 27, 2011


A neighbor recently gave me some medjool dates.  Since I have never really used dates in anything, I decided to ask on my favorite homeschool message board for some recipes.  I decided to make a Polka Dater Cake!  I have never heard of this type of cake, but how can you go wrong with any recipe that requires chocolate?

Polka Dater Cake

1-1/4 cups chopped dates
1 cup boiling water
1 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1-3/4 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (6 oz) package chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Mix chopped dates in 1 cup boiling water. Beat butter, sugar and eggs until creamy. Sift the flour and baking soda together and add gradually to creamed mixture. Stir in date mixture, vanilla and half of the 6-ounce package of chocolate chips. Spread in greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Top with remaining chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.


No comments: