Up From Slavery

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I am currently reading Up From Slavery: An Autobiography.  I am enjoying it even though it isn't filled with suspense or riveting action.  Booker T. Washington, a former slave, tells his life story from slavery to teacher to leader of the Tuskegee Institute.

One of the aspects of his book that I love is his wisdom.  There are a lot of great life lessons and quotes.  Here are a few:

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed."    

"I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him."    

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed."   
 
"Great men cultivate love and only little men cherish a spirit of hatred; assistance given to the weak makes the one who gives it strong; oppression of the unfortunate makes one weak."    



No comments: