More than a good Bible study girl

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sometimes I lose my mind!  I am currently reading three different books? Why? Probably because I can't seem to focus...one of the books that I have been enjoying is Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa TerKeurst. The premise of the book is that we should actually apply God's Word to our lives instead of just studying it. We need to put it into action.  While many of the concepts aren't new to me there have been a few in her book that have jumped out to me...mainly in the realm of conflict with others.

One point that Lysa makes is that Satan's name means "one who casts something between two to cause a separation." Wow, doesn't that description fit him to a T.  Does he not try to set up a divide between God and Man?  How about between people? Is he not a master at bringing discord between family members, friends, co-workers, etc.? Truly, the verse from Ephesians 6:12 could apply to this concept..."For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."  When we are in conflict with another we are not really struggling with them, but with Satan who has allowed or maybe even orchestrated the discord.

Lysa also wrote,
He (God) addressed my misperceptions about the situation by helping me to see it from another perspective. My perception was how wrong it was for this woman to have spoken ill of me. God's perception was that He could bring good out of even this.

This words struck me.  I have been dealing with someone in my life that listen to someone who spoke ill of me and then took action on those words.  I have to admit there was anger and hurt that I was dealing with.  But really when it is all said and done, the whole incident was was pulled together by the great "divider", Satan, and yet, God has the full intention to bring blessing from it.  I am still waiting to see how He brings about the good in this situation.  Just seeing God's perspective on it has helped me get closer to forgiving this woman for what she has done.  Maybe that is our problem we need God's point of view more than ours.

Lysa's book has so many other concepts like how people, possessions, and postition can never fill us up. How gratitude can change our hearts. How jealousy can be dealt with by acknowledging that God has a different path for each of us. 

Have any of you read her book?  Any thoughts?

No comments: