December Cooking Adventures

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

{Crockpot of black beans cooking}

December is going to be way too busy to find a time to cook with my friend so we have decided once again to cook three recipes (quadrupling them) on our own and then give half of our efforts to each other.

I have decided to make black bean and pumpkin chili.  We are in the middle of an ice storm so I am using only the stuff that is available to me at the house.  That meant cooking the black beans from scratch (I am doing two black bean recipes). I also found a new way to make this chili. I decided to use canned sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin since that is what I had more of on hand.  It made a creamier chili! Yum!

{Stirring in the sweet potato}

I am planning on making two new recipes this time around.  Creamy bacon chicken and Mexican Vegetarian Casserole.

Creamy Bacon Chicken
{serves 4}

5 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
8 oz. chopped mushrooms
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (10 oz) jar of alfredo sauce (I made my own using Magic Mix and making it into a white sauce)
1 cup grated Havarti cheese (you could use Monterey Jack instead)

Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and cook mushrooms in the bacon grease. Place uncooked chicken in 9 by 9 baking dish. Top with mushrooms. Pour Alfredo sauce over it. Wrap dish for freezer.  Attach two small bags.  One with the bacon and the other with the cheese. Label and freeze.
Thaw casserole overnight in fridge. Crumble bacon over chicken. Sprinkle chicken over bacon.  Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes until chicken is done.

I can't wait to see what meals I receive from my friend!


No comments: