Weekly Wrap-Up: In Which We Read A Lot

Friday, November 5, 2010

Over the past few weeks, I have tried to put more literature in my boys' hands.  The boys read a lot, but much of it has been historical fiction as we go through Biblioplan. Zach is going to be in 9th grade next year, and I feel like he needs more exposure to different types of literature.  I am trying to read ahead of him.  I figure if I read a book before he does then we can have some opportunities to discuss them.  Zach is currently reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.  Noah is reading From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. I am reading Frankenstein and actually enjoying it!!!  I never thought I would say that! It isn't even close to what I had envisioned it to be.

The boys and I have been studying three important cultures from the past: the Aztec, Maya, and Inca. We have been reading from Mystery of History that a friend loaned us and have been looking at photos of different items from these cultures.  It has always been my dream to visit Macchu Picchu (the lost city of the Incas).  Maybe someday I will get there!

There is another first this week.  Noah went to his first official horse riding lesson!  He is such an animal lover and has wanted to take lessons for some time.  I am happy that he is finally getting the chance!

This week in the mail I received Senior High: A Home-Designed Form+U+La and have been slowly going through parts of it to help me designed Zach's high school program. While I don't think I will use everything in this books some of the forms and suggestions are invaluable!

What have you been doing this week in your homeschool?

1 comment:

Zoo Mommy said...

I've been reading books before the big boys get to them, or after if they recommend them to me, and I hope we keep doing that as get older. My oldest just asked for the new Rick Riordan series on his Christmas list!