Thoughts from Jesus, The One and Only

Tuesday, September 15, 2009



I recently started one of Beth Moore's older Bible studies, Jesus, The One and Only. I just love Beth Moore. I have learned so much over the years from her studies. I have done all of them except for the about King David. I will eventually get to that one, too.


Something struck me a few days ago while doing the study. Beth shared a quote from Francis Frangipane:


To inoculate me from the praise of man,

He baptized me in the criticism of man,

until I died to control of man.



This quote just hit me like a ton of bricks! To protect us from wanting the praise of man, He allows us to experience the criticism of man! Why would we need protection from the praise of man? Why is there praise potentially dangerous? Because of one little word, PRIDE! Pride is so destructive. It can ruin our relationships. It can ruin our surroundings. It can ruin our marriages. It can ruin our witness for Christ. It can ruin US! I am rethinking the criticism of man...no matter how horrible it feels to receive it, it does serve a purpose in my life.


Beth points out that even Christ experienced criticism here on earth (that is putting it mildly!). We should expect no different. "Christ was blameless yet was blamed continually," she writes. Beth also makes the point that "Blameless people are rarely those that cast blame." What a description of Christ! There is no condemnation with Him. He loves us and accepts us for who we are, warts and all. How precious to know that He receives me with loving arms when others may not.

He is worthy to be praised!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Debbie,
I am doing this study now. That quote really hit me, too. I ordered a book by that author from PBS just to read more. I am at the midway point in the study and falling more in love with Jesus: The One and Only daily. Love your blog!!!

Lisa Johnson
Lisa in AL (FIAR)

KiminSD said...

Thanks Debbie for sharing this! Love the quote :-)