Living Math with Family Math

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Even though we don't do full-blown school during the summer, I do like for us to continue with a few subjects and fit them in during the week when we can. For example, Zach has started his writing for this year and Noah is practicing piano. I always like to review math during the summer or move ahead a bit in their textbooks (we use Math-U-See), but we are waiting on Zach's pre-algebra book and Noah is way ahead so I am giving him a "math break" from his textbook. One of my goals has been to get my boys to love math (especially Zach who I highly suspect will go into some kind of math/science field for his occupation). So far, I have not accomplished that for Zach. I am hoping that with some interesting activities that he can see that math can be worthwhile. Well, I thought that this summer we would try two books from the Family Math series. I currently have this book from the library and have marked tons of activities for us to do such as....

*The tax collector game (multiplication)

*The Magnified Inch (fractions on rulers)

*How Long is a Name? (mean, mode, median)

*Calendar pattern activities

*The Hurkle game (using a coordinate grid)

*Palindromes (What is a Palindrome???)There is also a Family Math book for middle schoolers which I haven't seen yet. It is on hold at the library so I should be able to get my hands on it soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks very cool. That math book just keeps popping up over and over again. I may have to get my hands on it for a look.

Your blog looks very nice by the way! :) Ami