Not Your Mother's Casseroles (Booking It)

Monday, October 10, 2011

I have been doing "Booking It" at Life as Mom this year and really enjoying it! This month we were supposed to try out some of the recipes from Not Your Mother's Casseroles [Paperback].  I actually bought this book back in the spring and have been slowly trying a few dishes. 

The casseroles in this cookbook aren't filled with canned soups and fake cheese.  I do appreciate that!  I have found some new favorites in here like...Baked Spaghetti Carbonara.  Oh so yummy! I do have to admit that there were lots of recipes that we would never make especially the main dish ones, but I think that with every cookbook I have ever owned there are only a handful of favorites in each one.  However, the breakfast and dessert had tons of great recipes...maybe because I love breakfast and dessert!

Here is a list of the other recipes we have tried.  I have put our reactions so you can see what we thought. 

Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs and Shallots
 (This wasn't a favorite...just a little too strange for us.)

Elaine's Pasta al Forno
(I liked this, but my family didn't rave about it.  Since it was time-consuming to make, I don't think I will go it again.)

No-bake Boston Cream Pie Strata
(This was delicious...I would make it again.)

 
Summer Vegetable and Mozzarella Gratin
(Pretty Yummy)

Layered Pumpkin Crumb Cake
(This is similar to a pumpkin dump cake, but without having to buy a cake mix.  Very yummy!)


1 comment:

FishMama said...

I think that you're right that no cookbook has 100s of recipes that fit everybody. There's variety in this one and an appeal to lots of tastes.